Questions to consider
- Can you lead with less control or a different kind of control?
- Must "control" be a zero-sum game?
- Is there joy in leading by helping other people tell their own stories?
- Is leadership only about technique or is it more about meaning?
- Are we using team members, employees, or students as instruments for our own ends or are they viewed as partners, where their development is a central consideration for us?
- Is not leadership also about creating the processes, structure, and conditions that allow team members to perform autonomously? Can you still be "in control" and let people be/feel free? Can the structure create the conditions for that freedom?
• Benjamin Zander on music and passion